Police Accountability Project Assessment Form

Please read before making this request for assistance:

The Police Accountability Project assists people across Victoria who allege misconduct by Victoria Police or Protective Service Officers.

We may provide information, advice, referral or, in some limited circumstances, legal assistance or representation.

In order to find the most appropriate support for you we need to ask for some basic information about the issue or incident.

The information that you provide will be kept confidential. We will not provide any of this information to police or any third parties without your permission.

The information will be reviewed by our solicitors and used to assess the most appropriate information or referral we can provide you.  

Providing this information does not mean you are a client of our service.

If we are able to assist you, you will need to go through a client intake process.

Please allow at least 10 working days for us to respond to your request.

Please phone 03 9376 4355 if you need help completing this form.

Family Violence matters

We are currently at full capacity and are not able to take on new matters about police Family Violence duty failures at the moment.

Depending on the urgency of your situation and your current level of safety, we can:
1. provide you with referral information to another service and/or
2. put your details on our waiting list and our lawyer will contact you in early October 2020.

If you would like us to contact you about our waiting list or referral options, please complete the form below.

Workers making referrals

Workers can also refer clients by completing the Assessment Form (there is a section for worker’s details) or by calling us on 9376 4355.

If you want to make your own complaint about police misconduct.

See Police Complaint Links and Resources


What kind of help do we provide?

This depends on what outcome you want. People who have been affected by police misuse of power want different things. These include:

  • being heard, including media
  • an apology
  • an investigation
  • police discipline
  • compensation or return of property
  • defence of charges

If you meet our eligibility guidelines we might be able to help you with any of those matters.

For people we cannot assist, we have created resources to help you make a complaint yourself and an email will be provided with these links.

What about making police complaints?

The Police Accountability Project no longer focuses on lodging individual police complaints. That is because our clients don’t have confidence in the current system, where police investigate most complaints against them. We are focused on other approaches to get police accountability

You can read more about the problems with lodging police complaints and how to take action below:

Independent Investigations of police misconduct

Take action here


About this Project:

This Police Accountability Project is run by the Flemington Kensington Community Legal Centre.

The project is funded through the Community Legal Assistance Program through Victoria Legal Aid and by a range of philanthropic donations.

About the Police Accountability Project